BA crew wear hoods and are taken to hospital after fumes fill cockpit and cabin
British Airways crew members were forced to wear smoke hoods before being taken to hospital after reports of fumes filling the cockpit and cabin.
Passengers on board the flight from London Gatwick to Tenerife were caught up in the mid-air drama before crew issued an international urgency signal shortly before landing on the holiday island.
The Airbus A320-200 was about to reach the top of its descent into the airport at about 190nm northeast of Tenerife when the crew declared 'PAN PAN' reporting fumes in the cockpit, according to the Aviation Herald.
The website reports: "Fumes were also observed in the cabin, a number of flight attendants donned their smoke hoods.
"The aircraft descended early to FL090 and accelerated the approach to Tenerife, the aircraft landed safely on runway 25 about 30 minutes later.
"All crew went to a hospital."
The aircraft remained on the ground for about 29 hours, then went back to London Gatwick and returned to service about nine hours after landing in Gatwick.
Aviation Herald says a passenger reported several flight attendants suffered from symptoms similar to hypoxia (inadequate oxygen supply at the tissue level) and used oxygen.
The incident is said to have happened on June 23rd. Air crew are instructed to put on their smoke hoods under such circumstances so they are able to direct any emergency evacuation, according to experts.
There is no report of any passenger needing medical treatment.
There was no mention of the landing emergency on the Spanish air traffic controllers' site.
British Airways said in statement: "Our flight landed safely and the aircraft was thoroughly inspected by our engineers before returning to service.
"The safety of our customers and crew is always our priority, and our crew were checked over by medics as a precaution."
Source: Read Full Article