Pet owner warns against ‘poisonous’ Zoflora after puppy’s worrying reaction

A pet owner has warned about using cleaning product Zoflora after she claims her puppy had a worrying reaction to it.

Donna Brydon shared a post on Facebook on Thursday in which she revealed she feared her 12-week old King Charles spaniel Skye was on her 'way out'.

She said the dog became sleepy and had a swollen eye after her friend washed her floor with the popular disinfectant.

Donna hit out at Zoflora, calling the product "poisonous" to some dogs.

In a public Facebook post, Donna wrote: "I thought my poor furbaby was on her wayout.

"She was so sleepy and her eye swelled up. Straight to the vet and this was the answer.

"Amanda had just washed her floor with zoflora and its poison to some dogs.

"So thankfully the medication the vet gave her has made her feel so much better. Love her wee face so much. (sic)."

Zoflora said their product has been used safely in households for almost 100 years, including those with pets in the home.


  • Homeless couple forced to live in car with 4 dogs as temporary homes refuse pets

  • Mystery as 41 cats vanish from single UK estate sparking 'serial killer fears'

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service last month told The Sun it had received hundreds of complaints from owners whose pets have come into contact with the disinfectant.

It said Zoflora has a detergent called benzalkonium chloride in it that is toxic in cats and can cause oral and tongue ulceration, hypersalivation and lack of appetite.

A spokeswoman for Zoflora told Mirror Online: "We were very sorry to hear about this situation. It would appear from the original social media post that this puppy has suffered a rare allergic reaction.

"It is possible for pets to experience allergic reactions, just as in people. Fragrance allergens which may occasionally cause allergic reactions are listed on the cartons of each variety so susceptible individuals can avoid compounds which they know they (or their pets) are especially sensitive to. "


  • Two horses go to the gym after being dumped on busy dual carriageway

The statement added: "Zoflora’s products have been fully risked assessed by leading scientists at Exponent International, a long-established, independent consultancy company with expertise in all aspects of Biocidal Products Regulation and safety.

"The risk assessments conducted do not indicate a concern when the product is used in accordance with the on pack usage directions.

"Pets are required to be excluded from the area to be treated during application; cover or remove terrariums, aquariums and animal cages prior to application. 

"Treated surfaces should be completely dry before pets and companion animals are allowed in contact with the surfaces.

"Response from the Veterinary Poisons Information Service regarding the usage of Zoflora around pets also state that as long as directions for use are followed, and treated areas dried completely before animals have access to them, Zoflora is safe and effective to use."

The statement said when correctly diluted, Zoflora disinfectant may be used where most pets are kept but do not allow pets to lick or walk on newly treated surfaces.

"Keep them off the surface until dry.

"The product is not suitable for use in vivaria or other housing where reptiles are kept. Follow the on pack instructions on dilution and usage before using the product.

"Zoflora recommends that you always read the label and product information before use."

Source: Read Full Article