Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd caught on CCTV clubbing barman with vodka bottle

Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd was caught on CCTV clubbing a barman over the head with one-litre vodka bottle days before he fled the country.

Shepherd has been jailed for a further four years after he admitted the drink-fueled assault on March 16 last year.

The former £150,000-a-year IT consultant, who is already serving a six-year sentence for the manslaughter of Charlotte Brown, admitted attacking former soldier David Beech.

Shepherd, 31, appeared at Exeter Crown Court by video link and pleaded guilty to wounding with intent in Newton Abbot, Devon.

A judge told Shepherd that because he was on bail for Ms Brown's manslaughter at the time of the assault, the four-year sentence would run consecutively to his current jail term – meaning he will serve a total of 10 years behind bars.

Shepherd struck the Afghanistan veteran so hard in the face with a bottle of vodka he thought he had been hit with a baseball bat.

Lee Brembridge, prosecuting, told the court Shepherd and a friend had been drinking all day when they entered the White Hart Hotel in Moretonhampstead.

Mr Beech told the pair they would not be served because they were too drunk and asked them to leave.

As he escorted Shepherd's friend from the premises, the defendant pulled a bottle hidden in his back pocket and hit Mr Beech in the face, knocking him to the ground, before attempting to flee.

Shepherd was apprehended by Mr Beech's colleague, James Stapley, and hotel guest Lewis Simmonds, an off-duty police officer.

Mr Bremridge told the court: "During the course of that restraint, he said, 'I know I hit your mate and I am going to pay for it'."

Shepherd was already on bail over the death of 24-year-old Ms Brown on the River Thames in December 2015 and when he was released under investigation he fled to Georgia.

He was absent from his manslaughter trial at the Old Bailey and was later jailed for six years after returning to the UK in April.

Shepherd, formerly of Charles Street, Bristol, is appealing against his manslaughter conviction and Court of Appeal judges will hear that application on June 13.

During the sentencing hearing he appeared to sob and wipe tears from his face.

Stephen Vullo QC, defending, said: "Up until the end of 2015 his life was going as planned. He was a successful IT consultant earning £150,000 with his own houseboat on the Thames.

"No one, not at least himself, can have predicted the nature and degree of his self-destruction that has brought him to this point."

Mr Vullo read to the court a letter Shepherd had written in which he "apologised unreservedly" for attacking Mr Beech.

"When I saw the CCTV of the attack I felt physically sick. It fills me with great regret," he said.

"Until that evening I have never been a violent person. I can only attribute this shocking change in character in me to too much alcohol."

Shepherd said he could have "snapped under the strain" of facing trial over Ms Brown's death and had "failed to cope" with the break-up of his marriage.

Explaining why he went on the run, he said he had only brought "suffering" to Mr Beech and Ms Brown's family and had considered ending his life.

"It was cowardly and was taken out of fear of prison. I took the decision between suicide or flight and I chose flight," he said.

"I hope one day to return to society and lead a good and productive life."

Passing sentence, Judge David Evans said Mr Beech's recovery from being shot while serving in Afghanistan and subsequent post-traumatic stress disorder had been "set back" by Shepherd's attack.

"Your assault upon him undid in a matter of seconds the good progress he had made over a number of years and has exacerbated his memory problems and hypervigilance. You have set him back," the judge said.

"The CCTV footage which I have seen in full shows that you took from your pocket a full glass bottle of vodka which you had brought with you and you held it primed and ready behind your back as Mr Beech reiterated the need to leave.

"The bottle connected with his forehead and you wounded him in such a way that afterwards he had to be taken to hospital and his wound stitched and glued.

"He described the stunning effect of the blow as being like a blow from a baseball bat.

"This was not an unpremeditated blow, as the CCTV footage makes clear, and there was no provocation from Mr Beech. He was just doing his job conscientiously, calmly and reasonably."

The judge described Shepherd as a "man with certain puzzling or peculiar aspects to your character" and added: "You took the cowardly course of action to go on the run. Your absconding delayed justice for many months."

Detective Inspector Mike Jones, from the South Devon Local Investigation Team, said: “I’m pleased with the outcome of today’s court hearing in relation to an assault by Jack Shepherd.

"I’d firstly like to thank the victim for his bravery, patience and support over the past 15 months. I hope that he can begin to close the door on this chapter and begin to move on with his life.

“It has been a long and protracted investigation which has taken 15 months to conclude.

"The investigating team worked tirelessly to put forward a strong and compelling evidential case to the courts, which I think has been reflected in the outcome of today’s hearing.

"I would especially like to praise DC Kerri Hoskin-Cole, for her tenacity throughout this case.

“I’m pleased that Mr Shepherd has taken responsibility for his actions and will now serve a consecutive prison sentence for the crime committed on March 16 2018.”

Source: Read Full Article