Travelex begins refunding customers – but its website is STILL down two weeks after cyber attack

CURRENCY provider Travelex has started issuing refunds to customers – but its website is still down two weeks after being hit by a cyber attack.

The foreign exchange site was held to ransom by hackers on New Year’s Eve, forcing the company to shut down its website and app.

Staff in branches were left carrying out business by pen and paper, while some customers struggled to access their funds.

In an update on its website today, Travelex confirmed customers are starting to get their money back “where appropriate” although it didn’t say how they're choosing who gets refunded first.

The Sun has asked how many customers have been refunded so far, as well as how many people are still waiting to get their money back.

We’ve also asked when the Travelex website is likely to be back up and running.

How can I get the best currency rates?

MONEY.CO.UK told us how you can guarantee the best exchange rate when you go on holiday

  • Don’t buy cash at the airport – you’ll always be able to beat the rate with a bit of forward planning
  • Compare travel money companies online – Factor in delivery costs and choose the option that gives you the most cash to spend on holiday. If you’ve left it until the last minute order online for airport collection so you get the best of both worlds.
  • Use comparison tools – MoneySavingExpert’s TravelMoneyMax enables you to compare pick-up and pre-order rates.
  • Don’t pay for travel money with a credit card – it’s likely you’ll be charged a cash withdrawal fee which adds to the cost.
  • Top up a prepaid card to lock in your rate now – Choose your card and read the T&Cs carefully as some apply hefty fees. WeSwap, FairFX and Caxton FX are all worth checking out.
  • Always choose to pay in the local currency rather than sterling – This will help you avoid sneaky exchange fees

Tony D’Souza, CEO of Travelex, said: “We continue to make good progress with our recovery and have already completed a considerable amount in the background.

“We are now at the point where we are able to start restoring functionality in our partner and customer services, and will be giving our partners additional detail on what that will look like during the course of this week.”

Travelex was reportedly targeted by the Sodinobiki gang, who are said to be threatening to release personal customer information unless they're paid £4.6million.

Travelex says there is no evidence to suggest customer data has been accessed.

The Metropolitan Police is leading the investigation on the attack, which was reported on January 2.

I'm a Travelex customer – how do I get a refund?

If you've been left without your holiday money, or you're worried your cash won't arrive in time, here's what you can do.

Consumer group Which? says you should first try contacting Travelex by phone on 0800 260 0355 or through its social media channels.

For UK customers, Travelex can be reached on Twitter by the handle @TravelexUK or on Facebook through @TravelexUK.

Remember not to share any of your personal information on a public web page and only speak to Travelex online through direct messaging.

If you paid by debit card, you can use a process called chargeback to try and reclaim your money.

Chargeback can be used to reclaim cash for goods and services you didn't receive.

Claims apply for purchases made by debit card, or by credit card for goods under £100, and must be done within 120 days of the transaction.

To start a chargeback claim, you need to contact your card provider but as it isn’t written into law there is no guarantee you’ll get your money back.

If you paid by credit card, you might be able to claim your money back through Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

This important piece of consumer legislation means big purchase on your credit card are protected if something big happens – like the goods aren't delivered or the the shop goes bust.

It applies to transactions made on a credit card between the value of £100 and £30,000.

To start the process, contact your credit card provider and tell them you want to make a claim under Section 75.

It should then send you a claim form which you can fill-in and your provider will use to process your application.

For payments on a credit card that are less than £100, you can try using cashback.

Source: Read Full Article