Don Megson dead at 86: Tributes paid to Sheffield Wednesday legend who captained side in 1966 FA Cup final | The Sun

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY'S legendary defender Don Megson has sadly passed away at the age of 86.

The Owls icon captained the team in the 1966 FA Cup final which they lost 3-2 to Everton.

Reporter Alan Biggs confirmed the news on social media on Thursday morning.

He tweeted: "Very sad news. Been asked to post on behalf of the family that Don Megson has left us at the age of 86.

"A Sheffield Wednesday icon (1959-69). Captained #SWFC in ‘66 FA Cup final.

"Son Gary says Don passed peacefully.


Haaland’s secret is strict sleeping routine with special glasses & hi-tech ring

Prem star forced to return home after losing £1m in ‘crypto scam’

"Such a fine player & man. RIP.

"Don Megson was an inspiring leader & a driving left back, one of the top players in the land, during his great career with @swfc."

He then went on to add: "A true gent."

One fan replied: "Sad news. Wednesday legend status without a shadow of doubt."

Most read in Football


Premier League star sues surgeon after 'career was ended by unnecessary op'


Brighton vs Crystal Palace SUSPENDED mid-match with ref forced to stop game


Greece legend and greatest AEK Athens player of all time dies aged 81


Cars set on fire as thugs clash with cops to overshadow Napoli vs Frankfurt

Another added: "Such sad news. Don was one of my earliest memories of following Sheffield Wednesday. Condolences to Gary and the Megson family and to everyone connected to the club. RIP Don."

And a third added: "My first Wednesday captain. What a commanding and dignified character. A great loss to the Owls' family. Condolences to his loved ones RIP Don #swfc."

Megson spent a decade with Sheffield Wednesday from 1959 to 1969, racking up nearly 400 appearances for the club.

In the '66 FA Cup final, Megson and Wednesday experienced heartbreak as Everton came from 2-0 down to beat them 3-2 in a thriller.

In between his decade in Sheffield, Megson also featured for Mossley and Bristol Rovers, hanging up his boots in 1971.

He enjoyed an 11-year career in management, coaching Bristol Rovers to Watney Cup glory in just his third game in charge.

He spent five years with the English outfit before leaving in 1977.

He then went on to spend two years with Portland Timbers, before a brief stint at Bournemouth in 1983.

Source: Read Full Article