Gerwyn Price doubles down on threat to quit World Darts after ear-defenders saga
Offbeat news from the world of sport
We have more newsletters
Gerwyn Price has insisted he could still follow through on his threat to boycott the World Darts Championship following his infamous showing at the 2023 event.
As he often is at the Alexandra Palace showpiece, The Iceman was barracked, booed and abused by sections of the crowd. Matters came to a head during Price’s quarter-final against Gabriel Clemens when he emerged from a break wearing a pair of ear-defenders in a bid to drown out the noise.
Price, already 3-1 down, ditched them after just one set and went on to lose 5-1. After the match he hit out at the crowd on social media and threatened to never play in the tournament again, fuelling fears he could quit the sport entirely.
READ MORE: Gerwyn Price admits ear-defenders ploy backfired but he could still wear them again
“So frustrating, you play all year round preparing for this one tournament. So gutted I wasn't let play but Good luck everyone left in. Not sure I will ever play in this event again,” he posted.
While Price polarises opinion in darts, he is one of the biggest draws in the sport and his absence from the Worlds would be a huge blow to the event, although PDC chief executive Matt Porter has insisted he is not taking Price’s threat seriously.
“I completely ignore those comments because he made them five minutes after losing the match. He deleted it. I'm sure we'll see him back in the World Championship again,” Porter told talkSPORT two days after Price’s exit from the tournament.
Do you think Gerwyn Price will play in the World Championship again? Tell us in the comments section
However, the 37-year-old says he is still prepared to miss the tournament provided he can collect enough ranking points over the rest of the year.
"Obviously it was disappointing going out at the quarter-finals for the last two years," he told BBC Wales ahead of the Bahrain Masters, which begins today (Thursday).
"If I'd been given a fair crack and fair opportunity in those games the results could have been a lot different.
"If I'm going to go out of the tournament in the quarter-finals or last 16 it's pointless me even turning up. So if I can do well all year and if I can win a couple of majors then I don't have to go, you never know.”
- Gerwyn Price quit threat being 'completely ignored' by confident PDC chief Matt Porter
- Gerwyn Price had already mapped out darts retirement plan before ear-defenders stunt
- Gerwyn Price to take on darts legend who is still winning titles at the age of 68
- Michael Smith says ‘you can't play darts drunk’ as he outlines what it takes to be a cham
- Peter Wright targeting 2028 World Darts Championship after ‘allowing others to win’
- Gerwyn Price
Source: Read Full Article