'I hate to say it' – Arsenal and Chelsea cult hero Cesc Fabregas reacts to Tottenham hiring Antonio Conte as boss

ARSENAL and Chelsea legend Cesc Fabregas has given his view on Spurs' appointment of Antonio Conte as their new manager.

Fabregas, 34, has played for two of Tottenham's biggest rivals in his career, and couldn't help sharing his feelings about Conte's return to the Premier League.

Fabregas posted a Tweet, which read: "I hate to say it but what an appointment by Spurs."

It comes just a few days after the Spaniard hosted a Q&A session on his Twitter account and was asked: "Thoughts on Tottenham, mate? #AskCesc".

To which he playfully replied: "Hehehe", with the ex-Arsenal captain making no secret of his feelings about Tottenham in the past.

Fabregas played under Conte for two seasons at Chelsea and had a vital role in his team as they won the Premier League and the FA Cup together.

He featured 86 times in all competitions for the Blues under Conte and his tweet appears to suggest he thinks the Italian will make a big impact at Spurs.

Conte's appointment came after Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and director of football Fabio Paratici sacked Nuno Espirito Santo on Monday after a poor run of form.

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

The former Wolves boss managed only four months in charge at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and left the club in ninth place, with five defeats in their last seven.

Spurs were booed off after their humiliating 3-0 home defeat to Manchester United on Saturday, which was said to be the last straw for Levy and was Nuno's final game in charge.

Conte had been out of management since quitting Inter in the summer, having led them to their first Scudetto in 11 years last season.

Levy and Paratici tried to appoint Conte in the summer, but talks broke down after a disagreement over Conte's transfer demands.

But after his appointment, Conte said that Levy had since persuaded him to take the job and suggested there were other reasons why the appointment fell through previously.

Conte said: “Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching.

“But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark.

"Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction.”

The former Chelsea, Juventus and Inter coach has been handed an initial 18-month deal at Spurs worth a reported £15million-per-year.

Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals

    Source: Read Full Article