Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Ralf Rangnick targets £33m Haidara, Cristiano Ronaldo fumes at Messi Ballon d'Or story

RALF RANGNICK has been confirmed as the new Manchester United manager until the end of the season.

And SunSport can reveal that United have ordered the German to do all he can to sign Erling Haaland.

The former Lokomotiv Moscow sporting director is also interested in RB Leipzig's £33m midfielder Amadou Haidara.

Rangnick could yet earn the permanent role with the Red Devils reportedly considering adding an optional extension clause in his contract.

Meanwhile Cristiano Ronaldo has hit out at a story from France Football Editor-in-Chief Pascal Ferre, which said he wouldn't retire until he had won more Ballon d'Or's than Lionel Messi.

JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)

Follow all the latest Man Utd news, transfer and gossip from Old Trafford below…

  • Kealan Hughes

    SOL CRUSHING

    RALF RANGNICK has more than doubled his wages by moving to Manchester United, reports claim.

    The German, 63, quit Lokomotiv Moscow to join the Red Devils.

    Rangnick had agreed a three-year deal with the Russian club in July, reportedly worth £3.8million-a-year.

    But according to the Daily Star, he has upgraded that to £8m-a-year with Man United.

    This makes him better paid than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was at Old Trafford.

  • Kealan Hughes

    BROZ BUY

    Mega rich Newcastle bosses are reportedly ready to open their wallets and offer 'crazy money' in order to convince Marcelo Brozovic to join the club.

    The 29-year-old Inter midfielder is out of contract at the end of the season and is also a target for Manchester United.

    The Tynesiders, according to The Athletic, are willing to offer mouth-watering figures in a bid to land the Croatian international when negotiations can begin on January 1.

    But with Newcastle yet to win a league game this campaign and currently rooted to the bottom of the table, Brozovic is unlikely to be willing to agree terms in January.

    SunSport exclusively revealed earlier this month that Brozovic was being targeted by Toon chiefs as a statement signing in the summer.

  • Kealan Hughes

    GUNNER MISS OUT?

    Manchester United are losing a race against time to ensure Ralf Rangnick will be in the dugout when Arsenal visit on Thursday, report The Mail.

    Work permit issues and new COVID-19 restrictions mean that the 63-year-old may not be able to physically take charge until the end of this week.

    A club spokesman said: "We are working calmly and carefully to secure a visa for Ralf in line with all relevant regulations and protocols.

    "These are processes which have to be followed and we are doing so as swiftly as possible."

  • Kealan Hughes

    'SUPER-MANAGER'

    Chris Sutton has tipped Man Utd to finish in the top four under Ralf Rangnick.

    Sutton wrote in the Daily Mail: "We’ve got the three-horse race and bringing up the rear, although they look like a donkey right now, I’m saying Manchester United will finish fourth.

    "The fact that Arsenal don’t have Europe this season is a massive advantage for them. Mikel Arteta and his players have got no excuses – no Thursday night games in Baku to hide behind.

    “They’re even on the verge of having Arsene Wenger back at the club, and he knows a thing or two about finishing fourth.

    “But Ralf Rangnick is a super-manager, a visionary of the game, the godfather of gegenpressing, and I believe United are capable of sneaking into the Champions League places at the expense of fellow European hopefuls Arsenal and West Ham.”

  • Kealan Hughes

    BAD NEWS

    Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick will not be bringing his trusted no2 with him to Old Trafford.

    United hope to have their new man in the dugout by Sunday at the latest when they host Crystal Palace but the 63-year-old German coach is unlikely to be joined by his long-term assistant Lars Kornetka.

    Kornetka, who has been described by Rangnick as ‘the best video analyst we have in Germany and my friend and colleague’ has previously worked with him at Hoffenheim, Schalke and RB Leipzig before joining him at Lokomotiv Moscow earlier this year.

    He is Rangnick’s first choice to serve as his assistant at Old Trafford.

    However, Lokomotiv have announced Kornetka will remain in the Russian capital to become their new head of sport and development, the position vacated by Rangnick this week.

    Reports suggest Rangnick will be allowed to bring in a small number of his own staff in the coming days.

  • Kealan Hughes

    'IT'S A MYTH'

    Rio Ferdinand has played down concerns that new Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick will be unable to effectively manage Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Ferdinand pointed to Rangnick’s work at Schalke where he helped prolong the career of former Real Madrid icon Raul, who spent two years with the Bundesliga club.

    The former United defender told Vibe with Five: ‘He only stopped coaching at Schalke for a period because he was under stress.

    "All this talk that he can’t manage Cristiano Ronaldo – he had a 35-year-old Raul.

    "A genuine superstar, world class player, big personality and managed him within that team. He performed. It’s a myth.

    ‘It’s still an ego, it’s still a character, it’s a personality that you’ve got to manage properly so he knows how to do it, he’s done it.

    ‘All this ‘he’s not going to play Ronaldo’ he played a 35-year-old Raul. Ronaldo I don’t think is the issue I think he’ll find a way that Ronaldo will be able to fit in his team.’

  • Kealan Hughes

    LOK AT THAT

    Manchester United will not pay Lokomotiv Moscow a penny in compensation for Ralf Rangnick, according to reports.

    The Red Devils confirmed the German's appointment as interim manager until the end of the season yesterday.

    Rangnick, 63, had signed a three-year deal with Lokomotiv Moscow in July.

    But the Russian club didn't stand in his way when Man United came calling.

    Italian reporter Fabrizio Romano claims that the Red Devils will not have to pay any compensation.

    In their statement confirming Rangnick's appointment, United expressed their gratitude towards Lokomotiv.

    They wrote: "The club wishes to place on record its thanks to Lokomotiv Moscow for their co-operation in the process of bringing Ralf to Manchester United."

  • Kealan Hughes

    OWN SCHOLES

    Chelsea star Thiago Silva has hit back at Paul Scholes' claim that Cristiano Ronaldo would find it easy to play against him.

    The Blues hosted Manchester United in the marquee match-up of last weekend at Stamford Bridge.

    Silva vs Ronaldo was supposed to be a key clash… before the Portuguese found himself benched by caretaker boss Michael Carrick.

    As it happened, the 36-year-old wasn't called upon until the 64th minute – before failing to have a shot on goal.

    After the game, a Chelsea fan account wrote on Instagram: "According to Paul Scholes, facing Thiago Silva would have been easy for Cristiano Ronaldo."

    Silva, 37, found the post, and commented: "It is always easy, especially for those who have stopped playing!!"

    He followed his words with three laughing emojis.

  • Etienne Fermie

    GOOD MORNING RED DEVILS FANS

    Ralf Rangnick has finally been confirmed as Man Utd’s new interim manager.

    The German has penned a deal until the end of the season.

    And Rangnick will then take on a consultancy role for a further two years.

    Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo could only finish 6th at this year’s Ballon d’Or.

    It was the first time Ronnie had ended up outside the top three places since 2010.

    And there was controversy before the ceremony even started, with Ronaldo posting a statement slamming the award organiser as he snubbed the Paris show.

    Bruno Fernandes was United’s only other player who made the final cut, finishing joint-21st alongside Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez.

    And Mason Greenwood missed out on the Best Youngster award, finishing fifth as Barcelona’s Pedri scooped the prestigious gong.

    Finally, United's Champions League clash with Young Boys could be moved from Old Trafford because of the Omicron strain.

    Travel from Switzerland to the UK is banned and that means the Young Boys squad will be unable to make the trip to Manchester.

    As a result, the tie could be moved to a neutral venue in Europe.

    Uefa have asked the Swiss government whether Young Boys will have to quarantine ahead of their clash at Old Trafford, according to The Telegraph.

  • Anthony Chapman

    NEXT UP

    Let's take a look at Man Utd's next five games…

  • Anthony Chapman

    MANE MAN

    Ousmane Dembele is reportedly ready to quit Barcelona on a free transfer this summer.

    Sport claims the Frenchman is not willing to extend his £325,000-a-week contract with the Nou Camp club.

    And that has opened the door for suitors to make approaches in January.

    Man Utd have long been linked with Dembele and are said to be keen alongside Newcastle and Arsenal.

  • Anthony Chapman

    TOUGH TASK

    David De Gea has admitted Arsenal will be a hard challenge for new Man Utd boss Ralf Rangnick.

    He said: “I think from [the draw against Chelsea] we should take a lot of confidence.

    “We know Arsenal are in a good moment, they play well, they are improving, so it’s going to be a big game.”

  • Anthony Chapman

    UNITED VISION

    Mason Greenwood has missed out on this year's Kopa Trophy at the Ballon d'Or awards ceremony.

    The Man Utd striker finished 5th in the rankings as Barcelona's Pedri took the crown.

    Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo finished 6th in the main trophy rankings.

  • Anthony Chapman

    YOU WHAT?

    Man Utd and Arsenal are reportedly set to battle it out over Sevilla striker Youssef El-Nesyri.

    Super Deporte claims the goal poacher is being lined up for a move to England next summer.

    Arsenal look set to lose Alexandre Lacazette on a free transfer and will need a new hitman.

    United could be in the same boat too with Edinson Cavani also expected to depart when his contract expires.

  • Anthony Chapman

    TEAM TALK

    New interim boss Ralf Rangnick is famed for his adaptable approach to the beautiful game.

    Here's another way he could line United up against Arsenal…

  • Anthony Chapman

    RONNIE CONTINUED

    “I always want to congratulate those who win, within the sportsmanship and fair-play that have guided my career since the beginning, and I do it because I'm never against anyone. 

    “I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent, I win for myself and for those who love me. I don't win against anyone.

    “The biggest ambition of my career is to win national and international titles for the clubs I represent and for the national team in my country. 

    “The biggest ambition of my career is to be a good example for all those who are or want to be professional footballers. 

    “The biggest ambition of my career is to leave my name written in golden letters in the history of world football.

    |I will end by saying that my focus is already on Manchester United's next game and on everything that, together with my team-mates and our fans, we can still achieve this season. The rest? The rest is just the rest…”

  • Anthony Chapman

    RON RAGE

    Cristiano Ronaldo has unleashed a lengthy statement in Portuguese, appearing to take aim at the Ballon d’Or organisers.

    The Instagram post read: “Today's outcome explains why (editor-in-chief of France Football) Pascal Ferré's statements last week, when he stated that I confided in him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Golden Balls than Lionel Messi.

    “Pascal Ferré lied, he used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication he works for. 

    “It is unacceptable that the person responsible for awarding such a prestigious prize could lie in this way, in absolute disrespect for someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d'Or. 

    “And he lied again today by justifying my absence from the Gala with an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist.”

  • Anthony Chapman

    SEVENTH HEAVEN

    Patrice Evra appears to have leaked the Ballon d'Or winner by congratulating Lionel Messi.

    The Manchester United legend posted on Twitter, writing: "Congratulations to Leo Messi for winning another Ballon d'or."

    Although the announcement is not due until 9pm tonight, Evra has jumped the gun.

    If true, it would see Messi collect his SEVENTH Ballon d'Or and beat off challenges from the likes of Robert Lewandowski and Karim Benzema.

  • Anthony Chapman

    BRU WOAH

    Bruno Fernandes has finished joint-21st at this year's Ballon d'Or ceremony.

    The Man Utd playmaker was level on points with Inter Milan's Lautaro Martinez.

    Fernandes finished ahead of Premier League stars Harry Kane, Phil Foden, Ruben Dias and Cesar Azpilicueta.

    But he was pipped to 20th by Man City's Riyad Mahrez.

  • Anthony Chapman

    RUBBED THE RON WAY

    Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly snubbing tonight’s Ballon d’Or ceremony.

    The Man Utd star is set to finish outside the top three – which hasn’t happened since 2007.

    And with arch-rival Lionel Messi in line to win, SIC claims Ronaldo will not be present at the awards show in Paris.

  • Anthony Chapman

    NICK OF TIME

    Ralf Rangnick is now in charge of Man Utd until the summer.

    But is this how he will line up against Arsenal?

  • Anthony Chapman

    FER REAL

    Jamie Carragher claims Rio Ferdinand once tried to push through a sensational transfer to Chelsea.

    Hitting back at the Man Utd icon for comments about never winning a title, Carragher tweeted: "Not talking titles but the deal for Ronaldo to Man Utd which you arranged.

    "No Premier League for me but Sky like my opinions!

    "No trophy in your career without Alex Ferguson and when you stopped winning Premier League at Manchester United you tried to move to Chelsea so please stop giving it the big United fan one! #olesatthewheel."

  • Joshua Mbu

    BALLON D’OR 2021

    Real Madrid fans are fuming after their hero Sergio Ramos backed team-mate and former Barcelona star Lionel Messi to win the Ballon d’Or, writes JOHN HUTCHINSON.

    The two players were bitter rivals for years while playing for Spain’s top two clubs.

    But now they are winding down their careers playing for Paris Saint-Germain, with the pair playing in the same team for the first time at the weekend.

    Messi bagged three assists to overshadow Ramos’ debut in a 3-1 away win at St Etienne.

    And speaking after the game Ramos, 35, is tipping his new mate to win football’s top prize.

    The 180-cap Spain international told ESPN: He’s in good shape, and I think he’s the kind of player who really makes a difference.

    “He’s a unique player and it’s a privilege to have him in the team.

    “I think that bit by bit, each of us is going to bring our own quality to make Paris Saint-Germain even greater and achieve the things we want to achieve.”

    The ceremony starts around 7PM tonight. 

    Will Messi win his seventh Ballon d’Or to go two clear of Ronaldo, or will Robert Lewandowski claim his first?

    Where will Ronaldo finish? Top five?

  • Joshua Mbu

    HOW MANY TOUCHES?

    Ronaldo had just SEVEN touches in just under half an hour of action yesterday.

  • Joshua Mbu

    IT'S NOT RON

    Cristiano Ronaldo is being 'abused' by Manchester United, according to former Red Devils striker Michael Owen, writes WILLIAM PUGH.

    The Portuguese superstar was left on the bench for more than an hour in Sunday's 1-1 draw at Chelsea and Owen has not been impressed with how the 36-year-old has been used recently.

    Speaking to Premier League Productions, the 41-year-old blasted: "No, you can’t.

    "We were at Old Trafford for the City game and all of a sudden it’s just exactly the same and they leave Ronaldo up front on his own. That’s almost abuse!

    "Having someone that good in your team and then playing everyone defensively and saying ‘That’s alright we’ll just hope he nicks a goal’… he’ll end up being average.

    "If you leave him and all these good players – or just two of them – playing and everyone else defending, they’ll start putting in bad performances because they’ve got nobody to pass to.

    "They’ve got no options, they’re chipping the ball form 50 yards away. They need other players to come up and help them.

    "It’s almost abusing the good players they’ve got and that’s the last thing you’ve got to do. If anything, expose the rubbish.

    "Find ways of getting world class players in your team, get [Paul] Pogba, get [Bruno] Fernandes, get Ronaldo, get them as best as you can.

    "If you let a few goals in because [Eric] Bailly’s not great or [Aaron] Wan-Bissaka or whoever then fine, you can replace them.

    "But at the minute – because they’re nervous and scared – they just bulk up with sitting midfielders and more defenders and abuse the great players up front leaving half of them on the bench and one or two to play.

    "They’ve got no chance!"

    Source: Read Full Article