Tyson Fury 'refused to get second Covid vaccination because he didn't want to get sick ahead of Deontay Wilder trilogy'

TYSON FURY rejected his second Covid-19 vaccination due to fears the side effects would make him too ill to fight Deontay Wilder.

After catching coronavirus last week, the WBC champion will now have his second shot.

The Gypsy King’s positive test result means his trilogy fight with the Bronze Bomber has been postponed.

The two rivals were due to get back into the ring on Saturday 24 July.

Now the Brit's US promoter, Bob Arum, is hoping that it will be rearranged for October 9 with the Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena venue staying the same.

Arum has also confirmed that Fury turned down his second vaccine dose because he did not want to risk falling ill just weeks before the original fight date.

Asked by BoxingScene.com about Fury having his second shot, he said: “He’s fine with it.

“He got vaccinated in Miami. He got the first shot.

“And then he said he didn’t wanna get the second shot because he didn’t wanna get sick [from the vaccination] so close to the fight. So, he got Covid instead.”

Arum had claimed Fury was fully-vaccinated during a press conference last month.
But he now admits he was mistaken due to a mix-up over the vaccine the Gypsy King received.


The Top Rank boss said: “I knew he had one shot, and I was hoping it was Johnson & Johnson. But it wasn’t. It was Moderna.”

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is deemed to be fully effective after just one shot.

Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca all require a second dose.

However, Arum also doubts whether a second jab would have prevented the champ from catching coronavirus due to fully-vaccinated people still being able to contract the disease.

Arum added: “I don’t know if the second shot would’ve meant anything because you still can get Covid after getting the second shot.

“I don’t know if it would’ve made a difference, really. He still wouldn’t have been able to train with it.”

Arum also provided an update on Fury’s condition, saying: “His spirits were OK.

“He had congestion in his chest [last Thursday]. But as of [Monday] morning, he seems much better.”

Up to ten members of Fury’s camp tested positive for coronavirus.

The fighter is now expected to return to England for a few weeks before returning to the States to resume his training for the rescheduled Wilder bout.


    Source: Read Full Article