James Marsden Will Lead Cast of CBS’s ‘The Stand’ Miniseries
Casting is underway for CBS All Access’s 10-episode adaptation of Stephen King‘s post-apocalyptic epic “The Stand,” with some big names reportedly close to signing on the dotted line.Deadline reports that James Marsden (Teddy Flood on “Westworld”) will play Stu Redman, the first man who’s immune to the virus that’s ravaged the planet. He eventually becomes the leader who confronts the evil Randall Flagg. Gary Sinise memorably played Stu in the 1994 ABC miniseries.
According to Collider, here’s who’s currently in various stages of negotiations for other key roles:
• Amber Heard (“Aquaman”): Nadine Cross, a school teacher who becomes obsessed with Flagg. Laura San Giacomo played Nadine in 1994.
• Whoopi Goldberg: Mother Abagail, who is immune to the superflu and claims to be a prophet of God. Ruby Dee originated the character.
• Greg Kinnear: Glen Bateman, an arthritic professor who joins Stu on his journey to meet Mother Abagail. Glen was played by Ray Walston in the ABC miniseries.
• Odessa Young (“Assassination Nation”): Frannie Goldsmith, a pregnant woman who leaves her devastated community and ends up falling in love with Stu. Molly Ringwald played her in the 1994 miniseries.
• Henry Zaga (“Teen Wolf”): Nick Andros, a young, deaf-mute grifter who wears an eye patch for most of the book. Rob Lowe played him in 1994.Josh Boone (“The Fault in Our Stars”) and Ben Cavell (“SEAL Team”) adapted King’s novel and Boone will also direct and produce.
“I’m excited and so very pleased that ‘The Stand’ is going to have a new life on this exciting new platform,” King said earlier this year. “The people involved are men and women who know exactly what they’re doing; the scripts are dynamite. The result bids to be something memorable and thrilling. I believe it will take viewers away to a world they hope will never happen.”
No names were mentioned to play the villainous Flagg, who was played by Jamey Sheridan in the 1994 miniseries.
A representative for CBS All Access refused comment to Collider on this casting list.
[Via Deadline, Collider]
Source: Read Full Article