Boy, 15, who was shot in the face as he walked to school wakes up as teen charged with attempted murder

A BOY who was shot in the face as he walked to school has woken up as a teen has been charged with attempted murder.

The 15-year-old, who was shot in Suffolk, remains in intensive care at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

A boy, also aged 15, has been charged with attempted murder and has been remanded in custody.

He is also charged with possession of a firearm, a 12-gauge Beretta over and under shotgun, with intent to cause fear of injury of another person, and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, will appear before Ipswich Crown Court for a plea hearing on December 7.

The horror unfolded at about 8.40am on September 7 as the the Year 11 boy was walking to Kesgrave High School.

Suffolk Police said the boy was found suffering with serious injuries and was in critical condition.

He was airlifted to hospital after he was shot on the Grange Farm housing estate.

Police said witnesses reported seeing a suspect fleeing the scene in a car.

The school was put into lockdown while families in surrounding streets were warned not to leave their homes.

At the time a resident, who lives at the scene of the shooting, said he heard gunshots and screams.

He said: "I heard the sound of the gunshot, I thought someone had dropped a paving slab or something.

"I heard the screams so I ran outside to see if I could go help. When the ambulance and police arrived I was asked to get back so they could get on with their job."

Another told The Sun: "It was a very, very loud bang. I knew instantly that it was a gunshot because I grew up around guns and used to fire .22 rifles, so there was no doubt in my mind.

"Then there was just a lot of shouting and screaming. I couldn't really make out any words, it was just a lot of panicked noise."

The suspect was arrested just two hours after the shooting and five miles away in Ipswich.

A car was seized at the time of the arrest, from which a long-barrelled firearm was recovered, the force said.

The suspect, from the Woodbridge area, faces a trial next year.

A Suffolk Police spokesman said on Thursday: "The victim has regained consciousness and remains in intensive care at Addenbrooke's Hospital."

Source: Read Full Article