Cannabis-laced sweets land kids in hospital as police issue stark warning

Several schoolchildren were rushed to hospital after eating gummy sweets laced with cannabis as police issue an urgent warning to parents in south London.

The pupils, from the Sutton area, had to receive urgent treatment after suffering side effects on March 12, with more falling ill since.

The sweets look like normal gummy bears or similar treats but are infused with cannabis and cause a similar effect to smoking it.

Police have now issued a warning to parents and said children caught with the weed sweets will be referred to them.

It is not clear exactly how many youngsters have been affected.

However, a school in the area shared the police notice on its Twitter account.

Greenshaw High School said: "There has been an increase in young people buying what at first appear to be regular jelly sweets, gummy bears or similar sweets.

"These sweets are not what they appear to be. They are in fact mixed with cannabis and have a detrimental effect on those eating them.

"Sadly, a number of school pupils in Sutton have been either made very ill or hospitalised as a result of eating them."

The news comes just months after 13 teenage girls were put in hospital following a similar incident at La Sainte Union Catholic School in Highgate, Camden in October.

  • Elon Musk lays out 'strongest argument' for why he believes aliens do not exist

Scotland Yard later confirmed the sweets contained THC – the active component in cannabis.

Some of the girls spent the night at a hospital in Barnet, with the school at the time asking parents to obtain a 'written statement,' on how the drug-laced sweets were brought into school.

The girls were thought to have headed back to class, where they reported feeling dizzy, while some vomited.

One unnamed parent said: "We’ve heard that they ate too many of the Gummie Bears and then started feeling sick when they went into class.

"The teacher became concerned because one of the girls vomited and the others felt as if they were about to. We’re still waiting to hear the full story from the school but it’s very worrying that this kind of behaviour is taking place during school time."

Cannabis is illegal for recreational use in the UK, although it can be prescribed for medicinal purposes.

While no-one has ever died as a direct result of cannabis, users or those who have never taken the drug can misjudge doses, especially when eating it, and suffer side effects like vomiting and panic attacks.

The Metropolitan Police has been approached by the Daily Mail for further comment.

Source: Read Full Article