Dad weeps as he AVOIDS jail after killing his son, 12, in horror crash on the way to football match | The Sun

A DAD wept as he was spared jail after causing the death of his 12-year-old son by dangerous driving in a horror crash.

Paul Vines, 47, was on the way to a football match with his young son Edward when he collided with another car near Bardney, Lincolnshire, on January 16 last year.

The youngster was due to play for Alford U-12s in a match against Branston when the fatal collision took place.

Lincoln Crown Court heard that Paul was driving over the 60mph speed limit and ignored signs warning of an uneven road surface.

He lost control of his Ford Galaxy at speed and smashed into a Mercedes, with both cars ending up in a ditch by the road.

Edward, known to his loved ones as Ted, suffered a severe head injury that ultimately ended his life.


Smirking Prince Harry makes surprise appearance at court for privacy case

Jeremy Corbyn WILL be blocked from standing as Labour MP at next election

In a statement, his family paid tribute to him, saying: "Ted was loved by everyone – he was happy, fun and brilliant and had so many people who loved him.

"Everywhere he went, Ted made friends. He was a special part of the community for everyone."

Victoria Frost, a passenger in the other car, sustained a number of severe injuries, including a broken back.

In a victim impact statement, she expressed her wish that Paul not be sent to prison, saying: "everyone makes mistakes in life…there is no hate towards him."

Most read in The Sun

oh baby

BBC star confirms they're expecting a baby with partner of 15 years


Harry Styles & Emily Ratajkowski ‘growing close for weeks’ before snog

it's back!

Huge game show returning to TV – eight years after axe with brand new host


Man City legend, 49, looks completely unrecognisable as he returns for World XI

Paul was handed a two year sentence, suspended for two years after he pleaded guilt to causing death by dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and slapped with a two-year driving ban.

His lawyer told the court that the road has since had its speed limit reduced to 40mph.

Sentencing him, Judge Simon Hirst said: "What you were doing is driving far too fast for that piece of road in those particular circumstances.

"Had it not been your son in this case who died and had Mrs Frost not been enormously generous in her position, inevitably you would not be walking out of this court today."

Source: Read Full Article