‘Failed hair transplant’ man took own life believing scars would be ‘mocked’

A man tragically took his own life over a "failed hair transplant" after believing his scars would be "mocked".

Gwyndaf Owen, 47, who had survived two previous attempts to take his own life, was found dead in his garden shed at the property he shared with his 77-year-old mother in Llanerchymedd on Anglesey.

A Caernarfon inquest yesterday (Wednesday, 19) heard he had developed suicidal thoughts as a result of the transplant, which he underwent in 2004.

READ MORE: 'Happy little boy', 1, died after 'being left for a minute' by lake on family trip

He remained troubled by the effects of it and was diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder and depression.

Mr Owen, whose full name was John Gwyndaf Owen, "severely regretted" the procedure and felt he "did not need it and should have just shaved his head".

But after a suicide attempt in 2004, the farm supervisor, who had worked on a chicken farm for 27 years, have moved on with his life and got better.

However last summer his behaviour changed and he began drinking heavily.

The inquest heard Mr Owen was given inpatient treatment and community care over the years.

Dr Julia Taylor, a clinical psychologist for Ynys Mon community health team, was one of those professionals who dealt with Mr Owen.

In a statement to the inquest she said: "The unsuccessful hair transplant was the sole life event that Mr Owen could identify as the precursor to his mental health difficulties."

"He believed that other people could see the scars and would mock him if they noticed them."

On October 29 last year, Mr Owen jumped from the Menai Suspension Bridge, dislocating his shoulder, the inquest heard.

He was taken to a unit in Wrexham where he spent 16 days having treatment before being discharged into the care of a home treatment team.

Gareth Owen, Gwyndaf's older brother, told the inquest that on March 8 this year he became concerned for his brother.

Their mum told him Gwyndaf had gone out on his bike but Gareth looked in the stone-built garden shed and found Gwyndaf there..

The hearing was told Mr Owen had been diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder and depression.

A course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy had been planned.

Sarah Riley, assistant coroner for North West Wales, found that Mr Owen hanged himself and concluded that he died from suicide.

For emotional support, you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, email [email protected], visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.


  • Rollercoaster that 28 stone 14-year-old fell to his death from to be torn down
  • Bloke who was 'still alive tried to get out of bodybag' while being sent to morgue
  • Builder, 21, 'with heart of gold' found dead in hotel after house destroyed by fire
  • Dad-of-10 crushed to death by two Tube trains baffles investigators as family fumes
  • Farmer found dead underneath hay bale was crushed to death in horror accident

Source: Read Full Article