Indian and South African Covid variants on rise amid fears of community spread, Hancock says
CASES of Covid caused by the Indian and South African variants are on the rise, the Health Secretary has said.
Not all cases have been in people who have travelled abroad, suggesting there is already community transmission of the strains.
🔵 Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest updates
Matt Hancock told MPs that cases of the Indian variant have gone up to 103 from 77 on April 7.
Despite the increase – described by Labour’s shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth as the "fastest growing" of all strains – surge testing has not been deployed.
The variant woud need to be classified as "of concern" by the Government, but is still only considered as "under investigation".
Mr Hancock told MPs: “We’ve recently seen a new variant first identified in India. We’ve now detected 103 cases of this variant, of which again the vast majority have links to international travel and have been picked up by our testing at the border.”
Mr Hancock said the samples have been analysed to see if the new variant has any “concerning characteristics” such as greater transmissibility or resistance to treatments and vaccines.
He added: “After studying the data, and on a precautionary basis, we’ve made the difficult but vital decision to add India to the red list.”
It means anyone who is not a UK or Irish resident or a British citizen cannot enter the UK if they’ve been in India in the previous 10 days.
“UK and Irish residents and British citizens who have been in India in the past 10 days before their arrival will need to complete hotel quarantine for 10 days from the time of arrival," Mr Hancock said.
“These rules will come into force at 4am on Friday.
“India is a country I know well and love. Between our two countries we have ties of friendship and family. I understand the impact of this decision but I hope the House will concur that we must act.”
Mr Hancock also said that cases of the South African variant had gone up to 557 after a cluster of cases was discovered in south London last week.
But Public Health England data says confirmed cases are at 600.
The Health Sec said two thirds of cases were "related" to international travel.
"However, we have seen small amounts of community transmission too," Mr Hancock revealed.
"As soon as these cases were discovered we acted quickly to put in enhanced testing, tracing and sequencing in Lambeth and Wandsworth."
The largest testing operation to date has invited people in the London boroughs of Lambeth, Wandsworth, and the Rotherhithe ward of Southwark.
Barnet Council has also urged residents in Finchley N3 to get a test after a singular case was discovered there.
Mr Hancock said today: "I'd urge everyone who lives in these areas, whether you have symptoms or not, to get tested regularly and help us keep this variant under control."
Source: Read Full Article