ISIS claims responsibility for Vienna terror attack after night of violence
The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
So-called Islamic State claims it carried out the deadly terror attack on Austria's capital.
The statement released by the terrorism group was accompanied by a picture of a bearded man, named "Abu Dagnah Al-Albany".
It says he attacked crowds in central Vienna on Monday with a gun and a machine gun, before he was shot dead by Austrian police.
Hundreds of police officers descended on Vienna on Tuesday morning in the wake of an 'Islamist terror attack' on a synagogue that left five dead.
The Austrian authorities are searching for perpetrators of what an Austrian government minister confirmed was being treated as an 'Islamist terrorist incident'.
In an early morning televised news conference, Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer repeated calls for the public to stay off the streets.
Nehammer said police had shot to death one attacker, a man wearing an explosives belt that turned out to be fake, whom authorities have identified as an Islamic State sympathiser.
Police confirmed on Tuesday that three civilians – two men and a woman – were killed in the attacks, with at least 22 others wounded, including a police officer.
Broadcaster ORF later said a fourth civilian, a woman, had died.
Seven of the injured were in a life-threatening condition, the APA news agency added.
A police spokesman said that reinforcements had been called in from neighbouring states and that at least 1,000 officers were involved in the search.
"We experienced an attack yesterday evening by at least one Islamist terrorist, a situation that we have not had to live through in Austria for decades," Nehammer said.
"Austria for more than 75 years has been a strong democracy, a mature democracy, a country whose identity is marked by values and basic rights, with freedom of expression, rule of law, but also tolerance in human coexistence," he said.
"Yesterday's attack is an attack on just these values."
The editor of Vienna's Falter newspaper claimed in Twitter messages that the assailant who was killed was known to domestic intelligence agencies.
The 20-year-old had Albanian roots but was born and raised in Vienna, the editor said.
This is a breaking news story and is constantly being updated.
Please refresh the page regularly to get the latest updates.
Reporters working on dailystar.co.uk will be working to source the latest information, reaction, pictures and video related to this story.
You can also follow us on Twitter @DailyStar to get the latest news updates 24 hours a day.
Or download the Daily Star app for flash alerts on the biggest stories of the day.
Why not also subscribe to receive our regular Daily Star news bulletins? You can do this on this page by simply entering your email address above and hitting 'subscribe'.
Source: Read Full Article