Man, 73, killed after ‘hot tub fell on him from crane’ pictured for first time

A crane company boss was crushed to death by a hot tub being lowered into a back garden, witnesses claim.

Michael Burcombe has been named locally as the man who died at the scene of the accident just before 9.30am in Bristol on Monday, MailOnline reports.

He and his crew were in the process of delivering a hot tub to the back garden of a residential property, when it allegedly hit a wall and disaster struck.

A massive response from the emergency services could not revive the 73-year-old, whose death was witnessed by a neighbour.

They told MailOnline: "I think it clipped the wall. They have been doing a lot of work in the back garden. I heard and saw it all, it's not fair for me to share any more than that."

Another neighbour whose house backs onto the garden said: "They were lowering it into the garden. I heard a load of shouting and screaming."

Mr Burcombe, a father-of-three, owned Burcombe Crane Hire Limited which is based a few miles from the scene of his death, on the outskirts of the city.

A crane carrying Burcombe branding could be seen in Springleaze, Mangotsfield, on Tuesday morning at the site of the tragedy, the Mirror reports.

The Bristol-based business hires out cranes for construction sites.

  • OAP in his 70s killed by heavy load falling from crane on UK street

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesman said: "We were called at 9.26am today to assist the ambulance service at a residential address in Mangotsfield after a man was seriously injured by a heavy load which had fallen from a crane.

“Tragically, the man, aged in his 70s, was pronounced deceased at the scene.

"His next of kin have been informed and our thoughts go out to them. Police enquiries are ongoing at the scene in conjunction Health and Safety Executive.”

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

The road where the tragedy occurred, Springleaze in Mangotsfield, was closed off by the authorities.

The government watchdog, the Health and Safety Executive, said: "HSE is aware of this incident and investigating."

One local man, who wished to remain anonymous, said an air ambulance, two land ambulances, a Hazardous Area Response Team, an incident response ambulance vehicle and critical care paramedics all attended the scene following the tragic incident.

Source: Read Full Article