Man being chased by police is killed on railway line

Pictured: Father-of-two, 32, killed on railway line while being chased by police following car crash – as force watchdog launches probe into death

  • Met Police officers attempted to pull over car in Twickenham but it failed to stop
  • Chase ensued and car reportedly crashed into barrier outside Hounslow station
  • Jef Saker then fled onto the train tracks where he was later found dead by police
  • Friends have paid tribute to Mr Saker and urged authorities to ‘fully investigate’

A man who died on rail lines while being chased by police has been named by friends today as Jef Saker.

Jef, 32, was killed after trying to flee across live train tracks at Hounslow station in west London in the early hours of yesterday morning. 

The Metropolitan Police said officers tried to stop a car in Twickenham just after midnight.

The vehicle failed to stop, and during the ensuing chase, it reportedly crashed into barriers at Hounslow station.

Mr Saker then got out of the car and ran onto the lines before he was found dead by police officers.

Paying tribute, close friend Allan Wilcox said: ‘He was a Del Boy figure, everyone loved him.

A man who died on rail lines after a police chase has been named by friends today as Jef Saker

‘I don’t know why he was chased by the police but we want a full investigation into how this happened.’

Another friend, who asked not to be named, said: ‘He was one in a million, he’d light up a room straight away.

‘If you were feeling down, he’d make a little wisecrack and have you laughing and feeling better.

‘It’s hard to take in that he’s gone and we won’t see him again. I don’t know why the police wanted to stop him.

‘He’d been pursued from near Twickenham about a mile to Hounslow station and crashed his car into the barrier and ran through the gate, which wasn’t shut fully and got on to the tracks.

Mr Saker ran onto live railway lines while attempting to flee police at Hounslow Station

‘He was a good guy and was a good father. Whatever he was up to, he didn’t deserve to die. It’s not right.’

Jef was born in Syria but came to Britain when he was seven-years-old.

He had two boys, aged 12 and four, and lived in Feltham, West London.

Floral tributes and tea lights have been left by friends outside the entrance to Hounslow station where Jef crashed his car.

Witnesses say described how they heard police shouting shortly before Mr Saker’s death.

The police watchdog has launched an investigation after a man was found dead on railway tracks near Hounslow Station while being chased by Met Police who attempted to stop a car

One resident told the Evening Standard: ‘I heard police screaming for a man to stop. He crashed into a barrier, I think his car was a BMW.

‘I heard the screaming then a train came through and then silence. It was horrific.’

Officers found him and an ambulance was called but he was pronounced dead at 12.22am. His family have been told.

A South Western Rail member of staff told the Standard: ‘No one would be in duty at that time of night and the station gate is sometimes left open.

‘We don’t know for sure what happened but the third rail is electrified. It’s a tragedy.’ 

His cause of death is yet to be determined and post-mortem is due to take place. 

Police watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the man’s death.

Witnesses say car crashed into barriers at the station before a man got out and fled from police

The Metropolitan Police’s internal Directorate of Professional Standards has also been informed.

The IOPC said that the man was aged in his 30s and had been driving a black Audi.

IOPC regional director Sal Naseem said: ‘My thoughts are with the man’s family and friends, and those officers involved in this tragic incident.

‘We are making contact with the man’s family to provide them with support and to explain our role investigating the circumstances leading up to his death.

‘We sent our investigators to the scene and to the post incident procedures to begin gathering evidence.

‘When someone dies following police contact, it is mandatory for forces to make a referral to the IOPC.

‘Our role is to establish the circumstances of the incident and this work is already under way.’

Source: Read Full Article