Mount Everest climbers seen queuing past dead body on peak that has claimed 11 lives in nine days

CLIMBERS have been photographed queuing past a frozen dead body as they battle past crowds to reach the summit of Mount Everest.

The haunting photo of a line of mountaineers stepping over a corpse was shared to highlight the dangers on the peak that has claimed 11 lives in nine days.

Summit!!! . So that was completely insane! I stood on top of the world for the 3rd time on the morning of May 23rd, 2019. More importantly, we all made to the summit and back, safe. . I have a lot to say and share. I cannot believe what I saw up there. Death. Carnage. Chaos. Lineups. Dead bodies on the route and in tents at camp 4. People who I tried to turn back who ended up dying. People being dragged down. Walking over bodies. Everything you read in the sensational headlines all played out on our summit night. . On a more positive note: The 4 Arab women, totally crushed it up there. How you climb is as important that you climb and they all graciously made it to the top of the world. . I shot it all. And I mean all of it. The 'Dream of Everest' is going to be a heck of a ride of a documentary. I pushed myself as hard as I could and never stopped filming. I even jumped up on the knife edge ridge to get the shots of the team on the Hillary Step. It was crazy, over 200 people climbing that night, but totally under control and I can't thank @sherpapk enough for keeping up with the shooting pace and honestly, for keeping me alive by being my safety rigger and climbing partner. I love you man. . To all the Sherpas, my personal Sherpa team, the guides at Madison Mountaineering – all of this is possible because of you. We are nothing without you and all summits are possible because of you. ?? . I'm down. I'm safe. And there is a lot more to come! . Totally wild adventure! So grateful to be back at basecamp. . @monakshahab @nellyattar @joyceazzam7s @alharthynoor – SO PROUD of what you've all accomplished. No one supported us with this documentary. No one. And we made it happen. Thank you for trusting me with your stories. The best is yet to come! . #Everest #Summit #topoftheworld #8848 #Everest2019

A post shared byElia Saikaly (@eliasaikaly) on

Canadian filmmaker and mountaineer Elia Saikaly posted the image on Instagram after scaling Everest for the third time.

He told how this climb would be his last after witnessing: “Death. Carnage. Chaos”.

“I have a lot to say and share. I cannot believe what I saw up there,” he wrote.

“Dead bodies on the route and in tents at camp 4. People who I tried to turn back who ended up dying.

“People being dragged down. Walking over bodies. Everything you read in the sensational headlines all played out on our summit night.”

The carnage on the mountain was summed up by the eerie photo that was taken on the Hillary Step on May 23.

It shows at least 18 climbers walking inches apart from each other on a craggy ledge – as a frozen corpse lay directly beneath them.


“The early morning light had revealed the gateway to the summit of Everest and in parallel a human being who had lost his life,” Saikaly wrote.

“Here we all were, chasing a dream and beneath our very feet there was a lifeless soul. Is this what Everest has become?

“As I documented the team climbing the iconic step, my mind raced and empathized with every person who struggled to stay alive while undoubtedly questioning their own humanity, ethics and integrity.

“This poor human being perched 7000ft above the Western CWM for everyone to observe was a reminder of each of our own mortality. Was this the 'Dream of Everest' we all imagined?

“My heart bled for the family and loved ones and at the same time I was conscious of the necessity to continue to move. At nearly 9000m above sea level, there is no choice but to carry on.”

The post was shared as news emerged that the death toll on the mountain over the past nine days has climbed to 11.


American John Kulish, 61, died at South Col on the descent from the summit of Mount Everest on Monday.

Most of the deaths on Everest this year have been attributed to exhaustion and tiredness, exacerbated because a crowded route to and from the summit has led to delays.

British climber Robin Haynes Fisher, 44, died on the mountain just hours after warning overcrowding on the mountain could be "fatal".

He was 150m from the top of the world's highest mountain when he collapsed in the so-called "death zone", which is known for having low levels of oxygen.

Fisher chillingly revealed on social media how he had changed his plans to avoid the crowds on Everest just hours before he died on the descent.

The climber said: "With a single route to the summit, delays caused by overcrowding could prove fatal so I am hopeful my decision to go for the 25th will mean fewer people.

"Unless of course everyone else plays the same waiting game."

Robin is the tenth person to die on Everest this season – with most suffering weakness, exhaustion and delays on the crowded route to the summit.


He had been descending down the 8,850m peak when he fainted but sadly his guides couldn't save him.

His partner Kristyn Carriere has now paid tribute to him on social media, saying: "He got his goal. My heart is broken. It was his ultimate challenge."

Robin, from Birmingham, has been described as an "aspirational adventurer" who "lived life to the full" by his distraught family.

They said: "He achieved so much in his short life, climbing Mont Blanc, Aconcagua and Everest.

"He was a 'tough guy', triathlete, and marathoner. A champion for vegetarianism, published author, and a cultured theatre-goer, lover of Shakespeare.


"We are deeply saddened by his loss as he still had so many more adventures and dreams to fulfil.

"Every one who ever met him in any capacity will always remember the positive impact he had on their lives.

"Robin is a much loved and loving son, brother, partner, uncle, and friend."

Nepal is under fire over the number of permits it has issued following overcrowding fears.

At least 381 permits have been issued – costing £8,600 each – for this spring season.

Dad-of-two Kevin Hynes died earlier this week as he attempted to scale the Everest summit.

The 56-year-old, from Galway, Ireland, was coming from the Tibetan (North) side on Friday morning as part of a team of six along with three expert sherpas.

He died in his tent at 7,000m after turning back before reaching the summit.

His death came just over a week after dad-of-one Séamus Lawless, from Bray, Co Wicklow went missing after falling up to 500m from the Balcony area of Everest in temperatures of -27C.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are in contact with relevant tour operators following reports that British climber has died on Mount Everest and are ready to provide support to the family."

Source: Read Full Article