‘No way’ Queen will cancel Royal Family Christmas lunch despite Omicron – source

The Royal Family's annual Christmas party will still go ahead, despite worry over the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

Despite the Government's Plan B restrictions being given the green light by Parliament last night, and warnings from scientists that we could have 1 million cases in just a few weeks time, a source close to the Royal Family told The Sun that the annual get together will go ahead.

The source said: “Currently it is going ahead but obviously it will be under review right up until the last moment.”

Next Tuesday the Queen will still hold her annual Christmas lunch for around 50 or so members of the Royal Family at Windsor Castle.

It was due to be held at Buckingham Palace, but due to the 95-year-old's current health issues, it has been moved to the castle.

The source added: “It is Windsor Castle so it will be pretty easy to socially distance if needed.

“There is no way the Queen wants to let anything get in the way of a family event like this.

“Particularly with the year she has had after losing her husband and being forced to go on light duties on doctor’s orders.

“It will likely be the first time so many family members have been together since Philip’s funeral.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

“But obviously everyone must act responsibly and things can change in a short period of time but as it stands they’re all set for Tuesday.”

Despite the grand family gatherings taking place, Prince Harry, wife Meghan and children Archie and Lilibet will not be appearing, as they have decided to stay in America for the holiday season.

There has also been much discussion over whether or not the Queen will give her annual televised Christmas address this year.

There were rumours of her son Prince Charles taking on the duty this year, but as yet, this has neither been confirmed nor denied by Buckingham Palace.

This will also be the Queen's first Christmas without her late husband Prince Philip, who died in April this year.

The couple had been married for more than 73 years, and have four children.

The Daily Star has reached out to Buckingham Palace for confirmation about the royal household's Christmas plans.

Source: Read Full Article