Sarah Everard's family reveals devastation clearing out her apartment as cop killer faces life behind bars for murder

SARAH Everard's heartbroken family have opened up about their agony at having to clear out her flat after she was murdered by a serving cop.

Former Met police officer Wayne Couzens has admitted killing the 33-year-old and is facing life behind bars – but the ordeal has left her grief-stricken parents Jeremy and Sue struggling to cope.


Sarah's cousin Marlene Smith says her death has "broken" the family as she revealed their devastation at having to empty Sarah's south London apartment.

Marlene, who is Jeremy Everard's first cousin, hailed Sarah as a "kind and loving" person as she spoke of the family's grief

"Sarah will be forever in our hearts. She was just such a lovely person, very effervescent and outgoing," she told the Mail.

"She was so young and innocent and it’s still hard to believe this has happened to our family. Last month would have been her 34th birthday.

"The grief is still overwhelming."

Marlene, who lives in Florida, says the aftermath of Sarah's disappearance and death has devasted her parents.


"Jeremy and Sue had to clear out her apartment. That was very hard," she added.

"Although they were able to see some of Sarah’s friends and that was lovely.

"We are a very close family. This has hit us hard. Sarah was very loved by all of us.

"Being the youngest of Jeremy’s kids, it’s a huge loss and terrible to know what she might have endured.’

Marlene says although she keeps in regular contact with her relatives, the last time she saw Sarah was around 20 years ago

"Sarah was a young teenager at the time," the 56-year-old told the paper.

"Very fun and friendly and loving and kind."


Sarah Everard was abducted while walking home to Brixton, south London in March and her body was later discovered more than 50 miles away in Kent.

A post mortem report revealed she had been strangled.

Couzens, a former gun cop who served with the Met since 2018, has admitted the kidnap, rape and murder of the marketing executive.

On Friday, he entered a guilty plea for murder at the Old Bailey.

The 48-year-old had previously admitted charges of kidnapping and rape.

Sarah's family and Met Police chief Dame Cressida Dick watched from the public gallery as the monster whispered his formal plea.

Sarah’s family and Dame Cressida were in court as Lord Justice Fulford said he would be considering a whole life tariff.

Dame Cressida said she had spoken to Sarah's family and told them "how very sorry I am for their loss, for their pain and their suffering".

She said the force was "sickened, angered and devastated by this man's crimes – they are dreadful".

It also emerged 12 police officers are being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct over matters relating to the case.

A two-day sentencing has been set for September 29 – with the court told Couzens knows he "deserves" to live with the "burden for the rest of his life".

Meanwhile, it's been revealed wannabe actor Couzens auditioned for a low-budget gangster flick, where he pretended to fire a gun.

The Sun exclusively obtained an image of the moment Couzens used his mobile phone to show the director that he could handle a weapon.

It was taken in 2009 while he was a special constable and TA reservist, before he became an authorised police firearms officer.

He was offered a minor supporting role but later turned it down, it's understood.

    Source: Read Full Article