‘She doesn’t go bushwalking’: Search for missing woman to enter eighth day

A large-scale police search for a 47-year-old woman missing in the state’s Central West is expected to enter an eighth day on Wednesday, as concerns for her welfare deepen.

NSW Police issued an appeal for information after the disappearance of Esther Wallace, who detectives were told was separated from a companion while bushwalking at Federal Falls in the Mount Canobolas State Recreation Area on November 30. The area is about 20 kilometres south-west of Orange.

Missing: Esther Wallace.Credit:Facebook

Emergency services were called to the scene at about 8am, and police were told Wallace went missing after watching the sunrise.

Wallace’s 24-year-old son Tyrone Stewart told the Central Western Daily his mother had been staying with his grandmother in Tottenham, about 140 kilometres west of Dubbo.

Esther Wallace and her son Tyrone Stewart.Credit:Facebook

Wallace had recently moved there from the flood-affected town of Canowindra, which is located between Orange and Cowra.

Local police remained tight-lipped throughout the search.

“When I saw the report that they went to see the sunrise … my mum doesn’t go to watch the sunrise, she doesn’t go bushwalking, especially in sandals,” he told the Central Western Daily.

“Usually by now, she would contact.”

The male companion who last saw Wallace is understood to be co-operating with police.

Police have denied telling members of Wallace’s family not to talk to the media.

“That’s not something we can do. People have the right to speak to the media if they want to,” a police spokeswoman said.

Search parties have been told Wallace was wearing an orange jacket, black pants and sandals at the time of her disappearance.

“I don’t reckon she’s at Mount Canobolas at all. She doesn’t go bushwalking at all. She’ll go camping and fishing, but she ain’t out there bushwalking watching the sunrise, that’s not my mum,” Stewart said.

“If she was alive, her mates would be showing her these articles. It’s all over Facebook, it was on the news and she would contact to say she was safe.”

Police are urging locals to be on the lookout for Wallace in case she has left the area and made her way into Orange.

Despite ongoing efforts, police say they are yet to find any definitive trace or suggestion as to Wallace’s whereabouts. The search is expected to continue for an eighth day on Wednesday.

“At the moment they’re not ruling anything out because they genuinely don’t know,” a NSW police spokeswoman said.

“It could be misadventure, it could be suspicious, we don’t know.”

Anyone with information on Wallace’s whereabouts is urged to contact Orange Police Station or Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000.

A spokesman for the NSW SES confirmed multiple crews in the area were assisting police with the search, including volunteers brought in from Orange, Bathurst and Dubbo to assist.

With AAP

Our Breaking News Alert will notify you of significant breaking news when it happens. Get it here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article