Soldier kicked out of Army for attacking fellow squaddie after drinking session

A solider has been booted out of the Army for attacking a fellow squaddie in a Wetherspoon's pub.

Former private Connor Maddison has been kicked out for breaking another soldier's jaw after a night of binge drinking in Beverley, East Yorks, Hull Live reports.

The 20-year-old had returned from the night out on July 31 heavily intoxicated at the nearby Normandy Barracks in Leconfield.

Maddison, of Bradford, West Yorks, was accompanied by another man who was also a private in the Army, Hull Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor Michael Masson said Maddison punched the other man four times in the face. A witness then called the police, before Maddison threw three further punches, causing the man – who never retaliated – to bleed heavily from his face.

The victim suffered a fracture to his lower jaw, requiring surgery with plates and screws.

Mr Masson said the officers had left the barracks after being told the incident would be dealt with by the Royal Military Police.

But they returned at 2.01am to further calls about concerns over Maddison's behaviour. Despite his attempts to evade the officers, he was arrested at 2.31am.

  • Secret code words used by Royal Family – and what they mean

The day after the attack Maddison was interviewed by police. He admitted the crime, saying he had become annoyed by his drunken behaviour and refusal to stop following him.

Maddison, who was spared jail, represented himself in court and told the judge he was discharged from the Army shortly after the incident.

He said: "I just wanted to say I'm really sorry and I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't really drunk."

Maddison is now working full-time for a window fitting company in Bradford.

Maddison represented himself in court. He told the judge he had been discharged from the army shortly after the incident and was now working full time for a window fitting company back home in Bradford.

Judge John Thackray told him it was an aggravating feature of the offence that he had been drunk at the time of the assault, but Maddison said he has since stopped drinking.

Judge Thackray handed him a six month sentence, suspended for 18 months.

Source: Read Full Article