Sophie Wessex wipes away tear as she joins Kate at Remembrance Sunday Service
Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!
The countess of Wessex Sophie was seen wiping a tear away from her eye as joined Kate Middleton and Camilla Parker-Bowles to watch the annual Remembrance Sunday service in London today.
The three women were observed standing together on a balcony of the Foreign Office watching the service while Prince Charles, Prince William, Princess Anne, and Prince Edward laid wreaths at the Cenotaph below.
Unfortunately, the Queen was unable to join them as she had sprained her back earlier and was unable to attend the service, the Mirror reports.
Sophie stood at a different balcony at last year's Remembrance Sunday service, which was held under Covid restrictions and social distancing.
That year, the Countess of Wessex stood alongside Princess Anne's husband Sir Timothy Laurence.
In 2019, pre-Covid, again Sophie also stood on a different balcony to the Queen, Kate, and Camilla with Sir Timothy as well as Meghan Markle.
Today, Sophie, Kate and Camilla all wore black hats and coats with poppies pinned to them and Camilla too was seen rubbing her eye.
At the Cenotaph below, Prince Charles also looked emotional and almost teary-eyed as he led the nation in paying tribute to its war dead.
For the latest breaking news from the Royal Family and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Charles led the Royal Family in laying wreaths at the Cenotaph in London just hours after it was announced the Queen would be unable to attend the Remembrance Sunday event due to a sprained back.
As the clock struck 11 and the nation fell silent, Charles looked sombre as he observed the two-minute silence before laying the Queen's wreath and one for himself.
He was followed by William, Princess Anne and Edward, who also placed wreaths at the Cenotaph.
Earlier today, Buckingham Palace said the Queen was "disappointed" to miss the event held annually at the Cenotaph in London.
Her Majesty was set to lead the nation in commemorating the war dead during her first in-person public engagement since a hospital stay last month.
Buckingham Palace insisted her back strain was not connected to the recent hospital stay.
Last month, she was forced to spend the night at the King Edward VII in Marylebone to undergo “preliminary investigations” for an unknown condition.
A royal source said: “It is the most unfortunate timing for Her Majesty who recently had a short break to Sandringham in Norfolk for a few days and was left feeling rested and recuperated on her return to Windsor Castle.
“On conversation with royal doctors it was decided that a back sprain is not conducive with a car journey and a period of standing.
“Her Majesty is deeply disappointed to miss the ceremony.”
The Queen has only ever missed six Remembrance Sunday events in her 69-year reign before today.
- Royal Family
- Kate Middleton Duchess Of Cambridge
Source: Read Full Article