Spice addiction killed ‘Clever, hard working and very pretty’ mum-of-six
A “clever, hard working and very pretty” mum of six died after falling into drug addiction and overdosing on highly toxic synthetic drug Spice.
Former Hull University law student Nicola Little was described as a very pretty, bright young woman and a dedicated mum. But her life was later blighted by drug addiction which she could not overcome.
At an inquest in Hull Nicola’s mum paid a touching tribute to her daughter, explaining how she had so much to live for.
Her mum said: “Nicola has one brother who she remained very close to. She was always sporty when she was younger and loved football, going to games with her dad and brother. Our relationship was strong but it could be difficult as she struggled with drugs.”
Nicola tried to balance her work life with having six children while also coping with the diagnosis of a rare blood condition. But having such a large family meant she had to make sacrifices. Tragically, she had lost another child at birth.
Hull Live reports how Nicola's mum addressed the inquest: “Nicola raised her children really well. She was interested in law and worked as a paralegal for five or six years before the practice closed.
"She then studied law at the University of Hull but she was also working and raising three children at the time so she could not complete her course."
Nicola’s mum told how her daughter had been attacked on a date about two years before her death, and the experience had affected her very badly.
But she says Nicola seemed “really well” when she last saw her, a day before her death, adding that her daughter was a "clever, hard working and very pretty" woman who would do anything for anyone.
Ketamine dealer, 23, caught by police after raid in student's death probe jailed
A support worker at Hull homeless hostel The Crossings told the inquest that on April 2 last year she checked in on Nicola.
When she got no answer at her door she went inside and found Nicola unconscious on the floor. She called an ambulance but the inquest heard there was nothing paramedics could do.
The toxicology report flagged up the concerns over the use of highly toxic chemical drug Spice, warning that its effects were “unpredictable“ owing to the variety of chemicals found which are not subject to any regulation.
Coroner Lorraine Harris concluded Nicola’s death was ‘drug related’ and issued a warning about the dangers of Spice.
She said: “I find Nicola was an intelligent woman who worked hard to support her family. But she had a history of substance abuse.
“I see no evidence of any intention to commit suicide but those trying to get clean can find the drugs they take become more toxic. I also take into account the issues over Spice which is a synthetic cannabinoid which can be very dangerous.
Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.
“I offer my very sincere condolences to Nicola’s family. It’s evident to me how much she was loved surrounded by a large family all who she had a good relationship with.
“She loved, not just her only children, but also her nephews and nieces.
“This is a tragic end to the young life of a warm, intelligent and hard working woman who struggled with substance abuse.”
Source: Read Full Article