Suspect in custody at Aurora standoff offered to make contact with teen who died of self-inflicted gun shot

The brother of a teenager who police say died of a self-inflicted gunshot during a standoff had offered to help officers contact the teen in person at the scene, but officers dismissed the request and confined the brother to a police car.

The 16-year-old who died in the Aurora standoff is identified as Octavius Greenwood, according to a court document.

Jaquey Talone Wyrick, 26, allegedly drove the vehicle from which Greenwood allegedly fired multiple shots at Officer Altagracia Boswell, according to Wyrick’s arrest affidavit.

Wyrick has been arrested on investigation of attempted first-degree murder of a peace officer. The affidavit describes Greenwood as Wyrick’s younger brother.

The incident unfolded Thursday morning when Wyrick, driving a Toyota Yaris, cut off Boswell, who was in uniform after working a shift and who was driving her personal car, a Honda Civic, in a parking lot, according the affidavit.

Wyrick followed Boswell onto Interstate 225, according to the affidavit, and Greenwood, a passenger in the Yaris, allegedly fire shots at Boswell from the moving car, according to the affidavit. Boswell was not hit by the gunfire. Police described the incident as road rage.

Wyrick told investigators, according to the affidavit, that he was cut off by Boswell while driving through the lot. Wyrick said while driving on the highway he heard “noises like fireworks going off,” but he was unarmed and “did not see Octavius with a gun.”

The pair drove to Wyrick’s apartment, where he was later taken into custody by police when he left the residence to throw out trash.

During the standoff and while in custody at the scene, “Wyrick offered to walk up to the apartment with police to assist with contacting Octavius,” the affidavit said. “Wyrick was not allowed out of the police car.”

Officers unsuccessfully tried to contact Greenwood for several hours. He was found dead inside the apartment when SWAT members entered the residence about 2:20 p.m. Thursday. Police said Greenwood died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

An investigation is ongoing.

Source: Read Full Article