Tessa Majors’ parents blast one of her assailants for his ‘lack of remorse’

Slain Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors’ parents blasted the teen involved in her murder for his “complete lack of remorse” in a statement read Monday as he was sentenced to 18 months in juvenile detention.

Assistant Corporation Counsel Rachel Glantz read the heartbreaking letter shortly before Judge Carol Goldstein handed down the term — the maximum under the law — to 14-year-old Zyairr Davis for his role in the Dec. 11 slaying during a botched robbery in Morningside Park.

“There are no words,” wrote Inman and Chrissy Majors of Charlottesville, Virginia, who were not in the courtroom. “[We] dropped her off at Barnard College at the beginning of her freshman year…100 days later [we] brought her home in an urn.”

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, the lawyers, the judge and Davis appeared by video monitor in Manhattan Family Court. There were no family members from either side in the courtroom — just a handful of reporters. Davis, wearing a green T-shirt, wore a blank expression.

The grieving parents said Majors, an aspiring journalist and accomplished bass player, was “talented, kind, a beloved daughter, sister, granddaughter” and ripped Davis for his “complete lack of remorse.”

The letter also criticized Davis for minimizing the crime when he took a plea deal June 3rd. “Some might wonder if Tess Majors was involved in an accident,” according to the statement. “Tess Majors did not die in an accident, she was murdered. Plain and simple.” Inman Major is a novelist and English professor at James Madison University.

Defense lawyer Neville Mitchell said that Davis regretted his actions. “Our client was heartbroken when he found out she died,” the attorney said. “His behavior reflects a teenager, not some monster.”

As part of the deal, Davis copped to one count of first-degree robbery, admitting that he and two pals — Rashaun Weaver and Luchiano Lewis, both 14 at the time — had tried to mug the 18-year-old student.

After she yelled for help, Lewis allegedly held Majors in a headlock while Weaver fatally stabbed her, sending the feathers of her down coat into the air.

Davis said the trio had gone to the park that night looking to rob someone, and that he had handed Weaver the knife before they’d spotted Majors.

Just 13 at the time of Majors’ killing, Davis was charged with felony murder as a juvenile.

The cases against Weaver and Lewis — who face murder and robbery charges as adults — are still pending in Manhattan Supreme Court.

“Ms. Majors was a bright, promising, and talented young woman who had just begun to explore life as a college student in New York City when she was tragically and senselessly murdered,” said Corporation Counsel James Johnson, whose office prosecuted the case. “While we have brought this portion of this horrific case to a close, we know that the pain of this loss will endure.”

Source: Read Full Article