Trailer wrongly suggests Sussexes' security was 'pulled' before Megxit
New bombshell Netflix trailer wrongly suggests Meghan and Harry’s ‘security was pulled’ BEFORE they left the Royal Family and claims ‘everyone in the world knew where they were’
- Trailer implies couple’s decision to leave UK was taken due to fears about safety
- The duke says: ‘I wonder what would have happened to us had we not got out’
- Today royal experts questioned the timeline presented by the Netflix trailer
A new trailer for Harry and Meghan’s Netflix series wrongly suggests their security was withdrawn prior to Megxit, royal experts said today.
The 90-second clip – released today – implies the couple’s decision to leave the UK for America was taken due to a pressing concern for their safety, with Harry, 38, saying: ‘I wonder what would have happened to us had we not got out when we did.’
The duchess, 41, then claims: ‘Our security was being pulled – everyone in the world knew where we were’, before her husband adds, ‘I said ”we need to get out of here”.’
At this point, a selfie video of Harry appears on a plane in which he says he is on ‘the freedom flight’ – a likely reference to their relocation to North America in early 2020.
The 90-second clip – released today – implies the couple’s decision to leave the UK for America was taken due to a pressing concern for their safety
The trailer’s apparent contention that the Sussexes were stripped of their official security prior to Megxit is not supported by the timeline of events.
The couple announced they would step back as senior royals on January 8, 2020.
On February 20, the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (Ravec) announced they would lose the right to taxpayer-funded security that senior royals are automatically granted.
At the time, the couple were living in Canada – where government minister Bill Blair confirmed they were being protected by the Met and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
In a statement, the minister said the arrangement would end on March 31.
On account of this timeline, it would be ‘shockingly untrue’ to claim the Sussexes’ had their security withdrawn before Megxit, Meghan’s biographer Tom Bower told MailOnline today.
Harry and Meghan speak to the public during a 2019 visit to Birkenhead, with a security guard seen behind them
Meanwhile, royal author Richard Fitzwilliams questioned whether the couple’s comments about security had been ‘sensationalised’ by Netflix to draw in viewers.
‘The charge ”our security was being pulled, everyone in the world knew where we were”’ implies they were not given proper security as senior working royals before Megxit,’ he told MailOnline.
‘It follows from that that in their opinion the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (Ravec) was not doing its job properly. We must ask why and require them to produce proof.
It is also possible that – given a reported 15 hours of footage by the Sussexes – Netflix have sensationalised their comments in the trailer to draw in viewers.’
The clip has been released amid the fallout over the first three episodes, which were released at 8am on Thursday.
Harry, 38, is heard saying on the latest trailer: ‘I wonder what would have happened to us had we not got out when we did’
The first three episodes addressed the couple’s tumultuous relationship with the press, with the Duchess of Sussex accusing the media of wanting to “destroy” her.
They left the monarchy after opting for personal and financial freedom over remaining working royal family members.
Harry and Meghan signed lucrative deals, thought to be worth more than £100million, with Netflix and Spotify after quitting, with the docuseries the first major output for them on the streaming giant.
Harry & Meghan Part II will be available on Netflix from December 15.
Source: Read Full Article