Unvaccinated make the bulk of COVID deaths as Victoria records 13,755 cases

For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.

Victoria reported 13,755 new cases of COVID-19 and 15 deaths on Thursday after health authorities revealed more than half of the deaths recorded during the state’s Delta and Omicron outbreaks were unvaccinated.

The figures back repeated warnings by the state government that three doses of the coronavirus vaccine are the best protection against serious illness and death.

The unvaccinated continue to make the bulk of hospital admissions in Victoria.Credit:Getty Images

Unvaccinated Victorians account for less than six per cent of the population, yet they represent almost 23 per cent of patients admitted to hospital and 35 per cent of those in intensive care.

In contrast, people who’ve had three doses of the COVID-19 vaccine make up only six per cent of cases in hospital and intensive care, despite accounting for a third of adults in the community.

“Put simply – six per cent of the public are unvaccinated but make up a third of cases in ICU. A third of the public have their booster dose, but make up six per cent of cases in ICU,” health authorities said in a statement on Wednesday.

“This data clearly shows that a COVID-19 case is far more likely to be admitted to hospital or ICU if they are unvaccinated and far less likely to be admitted if they have received three doses of the vaccine.”

A third dose also offered some protection against infection, with boosted Victorians accounting for just 7 per cent of the total number of confirmed cases reported over the past week, authorities said.

There are currently 119,153 active COVID-19 infections across the state. Of the new infections reported on Thursday, 6130 came from PCR tests, while 7625 were self-reported from rapid antigen tests.

A total of 1057 Victorians infected with coronavirus are being cared for in hospital, including 117 in intensive care and 40 on a ventilator.

For the first time in almost two years, Queensland overtook Victoria in the number of new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, with the state recording 13,551. Victoria also reported one of the largest daily death tolls since the pandemic began.

Speaking to the media in Frankston on Wednesday, COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar extended his condolences to the families of the 35 Victorians who lost their lives and urged people to “reflect upon” the news.

Mr Weimar said 53 per cent of coronavirus-related deaths reported since July involved unvaccinated Victorians. The remaining 47 per cent were partially or fully immunised Victorians.

Victorian state-run clinics administered more than 16,979 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday, taking the percentage of triple-vaccinated Victorians to more than 35 per cent.

About 19,500 children were booked to get the vaccine over the past week, with 4500 second-dose appointments recorded in the system.

There are more than 230,000 vaccination appointments available for the next month, including almost 70,000 for children aged five to 11.

The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article