Woman dies after setting herself on fire using petrol at garage forecourt
A woman has died after pouring petrol over her head and setting herself ablaze on a garage forecourt near Portsmouth.
The 53-year-old who has not been named by police suffered fatal injuries on Sunday morning at a BP filling station in Cosham, Hampshire after stepping out of a taxi and reaching for a pump.
Good Samaritans sprinted to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher before an ambulance worker stuck in traffic spotted the horrifying scene.
Once the fire had been put out, the woman was taken up the road to Queen Alexandra Hospital but Hampshire Police confirmed on Tuesday that the 53-year-old sadly died from her burns.
A police spokeswoman said: "We were called at 10.35am on November 1 to a report of a concern for welfare for a woman at the Cosham filling station in Northern Road, Portsmouth.
"The 53-year-old woman was taken to hospital with serious burns. We can now confirm that she has sadly died in hospital.
"Her next of kin have been informed and are being supported. The death is not being treated as suspicious."
One witness at the garage tore off his shirt to desperately attempt to put out the fire on the woman's body.
Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today
Two workers from the garage dashed out of the shop carrying fire extinguishers just seconds later to tackle the blaze on both the woman and near the petrol pump.
A spokesman from South Central Ambulance Service praised the "swift actions" of the heroic trio as "courageous".
CCTV images of the incident have been deemed too disturbing to share.
Source: Read Full Article